Wednesday 5 June 2013

Dear Canada




Dear Canada series
Various authors


Dear Canada is a series of books about girls in different time periods in Canada's history, but they are not all written by one author.

They are written as if that person wrote a diary. The characters are fictional but other authors wrote it as if the main character wrote it. Each book takes place in a time and location in Canada. In all of the books you can read about main character and see real pictures of the time period at the back of the books.

I like the series because it's written in a diary format and it teaches Canadian history in an interesting way. Also, some of the girls featured in the books are from immigrant families and come from different cultures, and I like to learn the foreign words and phrases. I have discovered through the series how multicultural our country is and how these different cultures shape our country today.

As I am home educated, this is a great way to learn Canadian history. The series is meant for children ages 12 and up, but I'm nine and I love it. I started reading them when I was eight, so I think most Canadians girls ages eight and up would enjoy them.

There are 32 Dear Canada books (http://www.scholastic.ca/dearcanada/books/), but I've only read six. Here are the six I've read, ranked from most favorite:



1) Orphan at my Door
The Home Child Diary of  Victoria Cope, Guelph, Ontario,1897 (by Jean Little ).

2) To Stand on my own 
 The Polio Epidemic Diary Of Noreen Robertson, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1937 (by Barbara Haworth-Attard)

3) Not a Nickel to Spare
The Great Depression Diary of Sally Cohen, Toronto, Ontario, 1932 (by Perry Nodelman).

4) A Desperate road to Freedom
The Underground Railroad Diary of Julia May Jackson, Virginia to Canada West, 1863-1864 (by Karleen Bradford

5) A Trail of Broken Dreams
The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer, Overland to the Caribou, 1862 (by Barbara Haworth-Attard )

6) A Prairie as Wide as the Sea
The Immigrant Diary of Ivy Weatherall, Milorie, Saskatchewan, 1926 (by Sarah Ellis)

No comments:

Post a Comment